Whole Family: Baby Food, Products and Parenting
Pregnancy Nutrition and Feeding Your Baby
Super Nutrition for Babies is an amazing, easy to understand, comprehensive guide to feeding your baby. This book reaffirms everything I’ve learned from Nina Plank’s book Real Food for Mother and Baby, as well as the advice given by the Weston A. Price Foundation and Sally Fallon’s Nourishing Traditions (note: I personally don’t agree with everything Sally’s book says, e.g. vaccines, but respect the nutritional info). It stresses the importance of animal fats and recommends nutrient dense foods like liver, egg yolk, cod liver oil, fish eggs, bone broths and yes, raw milk. Click here to read about why I chose to drink raw milk while pregnant.
The book has old ads that tout the benefits of feeding your baby meat- showing that these are not new ideas but rather wisdom that has been lost. My favorite ad shows a baby smiling and the caption “Look who’s started loving liver”. Adorable. My son really enjoys liver and LOVES bone broth. I felt good feeding him meat and other nutrient dense animal products that gave him the zinc and iron, things that babies need most. This book is written by Katherine Erlich MD (board-certified pediatrician at The Center for Holistic Medicine) and Kelly Genzlinger CNC, CMTA. You can check out these blog posts about my Baby’s First Foods, giving Cod Liver Oil and why I used Holle formula .
Making your own baby food saves you money and means that you know the quality of the ingredients you are buying.
- Water Wipes are a great brand of disposable wipes make from fruit extract and water. That’s it!
- To save money I also use reusable wipes.
- Here is a link from Wellness Mama on making your own baby wipes. I have had good success with her homemade chamomile tincture for teething. I also use Boiron Camilia homeopathic teething remedy.
- I don’t think babies need soap and shampoo. We just use water and occasionally Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap.
- We recently started filtering our bath and shower water. Here is my blog post on the topic.
- We started using Life Start infant probiotic supplement early on and recently my pediatrician recommended Metagenics Ultra Flora Baby. Click the link in the recommended articles to learn more about infant probiotics. In addition to probiotic rich foods, like kefir and sauerkraut, I try to get my little guys hand in the dirt as much as possible. Eat Dirt by Dr. Josh Axe is a much read!
- Chris Kresser- Gut health and behavior problems in children
- Chris Kresser- What to do if you (or your kids) have to take antibiotics
- Mama Natural- Infant Probiotics
- Janette Coleman- How to Cure Picky Eaters, part 1 & part 2
- Wellness Mama- Benefits of Safe Sun Exposure for Decreased Cancer Risk